It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » N00b Talk

Vehicle: 1994 suzuki vitara (efi)

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:27 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hey guys, I have a lwb that I've cut into a trailer and it still has the original diff In it. Just wondering what's involved in removing the diff center, alot of people have said it would tow better and have less drag. Can this even be done? And is it worth it? Cheers legends

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:20 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
No, it can't be done - a Vitara rear axle is semifloating, so there is only one wheel bearing on the axle, the other end of the axle is supported by the diff centre. If you remove the the wheels will flop around. Converting this axle to full floating to remedy this problem isn't cost effective for your application.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:05 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:
Converting this axle to full floating to remedy this problem isn't cost effective for your application.

I disagree steve, there would be virtually no cost in doing it for a trailer. If you've still got the front half of the vitara you could use those hubs. Given it's only a trailer you'd make your own adapters out of flat plate and weld them on as concentricity isn't critical. Then you wouldn't be wasting energy turning the diff, wont need to keep oil in it and wont be lugging around that weight for no reason.

You could also remove the crownwheel from the diff centre. You'l still need to keep oil in it but then you wont be spinning the pinion around for no reason. Lots of farm trailers are like this or have the pinion removed and the hole capped. Of course most farm trailers using a rear diff are built out of trucks with fully floating axles. Generally the axles and diff centre are removed and sold off and the openings are capped.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:34 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
IMHO you'd be better off getting an actual trailer axle.

If you really feel the need for the same wheel stud pattern, F100 flanges are readily available.

Vehicle: 1994 suzuki vitara (efi)

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:49 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks guys, given me a bit more of an idea. Probably wont bother with it for now. Just trying to get weight down. Thinking of putting the cab on another chassis or somehow sort out independent suspension or even a straight axle down the track.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:36 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I think it's a 100x better idea to make a specific chassis/suspension/axle for trailer use. You'l save a lot of weight and headaches.

Jump to: