It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: 87 Samurai

Post Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:58 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Yes, the SJ410 transfer case is smaller than the SJ413.
On that note, how does it compare to the SJ413 case regarding strength and durability? As good as? Not as good as? Why so?

Thanks.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:40 am 
Reply with quote Top  
No, the Sj410 case is not smaller. It’s effectively identical. And equally strong and durable.

The early sj410 case, which lacks a 4wd light switch, has a different case form and is arguably stronger and more durable as the intermediate shaft runs on ball bearings not those too-small needle rollers.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:39 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I wouldn't argue the N/S 1l case is stronger, it has smaller shafts and the dog clutch is MUCH smaller. The gear widths are the same and the gear spacing is the same as the later case. I would argue it's potentially more durable (as in longer lived) as the counter shaft design is much better, though it should be tapered roller bearings for best practice. LJs had the same countershaft wear problem as switch case sierras do. It's odd suzuki fixed the problem and then went back, they must know something we don't. I think the ball bearing setup would even be cheaper to make.

Although the countershafts are obviously a wear problem we haven't seen many failures from it.

Out of interest, you could rock lobster an SJ30 and SJ40 NS transfer to get 1.742 high and 3.90 low.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:03 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks for your thots.

The 410 case "looks" smaller to my eye. I guess it's the case shape that makes it look smaller.

About the 410 cases......the pre 85 year lacked the 4wd switch, and only the 85 has the 4wd switch, correct? Other than this difference, are there any other differences between the early 83, 84 cases vs the 85? I have one of each...…..

I'm trying to decide if it's worth my time / effort in removing the noisy [ but less than 1000k ] Trail Gear 4.9's from my current SJ413 case......or, just installing an 84 or 85 case with the 4.12 gearing? I also have the HD output or is it input?? can't remember which....shaft installed in it.

The current TC 4.9 gearing for my diesel swap is too low for my needs and I need to lower the engine rpm's when HWY driving.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:22 am 
Reply with quote Top  
8/1983 was the changeover. The difference between 4.9 and 4.16/1l in high range is bugger all, 1.629 vs 1.58 is less than 5%. I don't think you'l even notice it. I think you'd be best off converting to a different kind of transfer case. Maybe a divorce an LT230 as there is lots of ratio options there or maybe a Niva case, they're already divorced and offset like a sierra case. They're 1.2 in high and you can get crawler gears for 3.xx in low. Both those have been fitted to sierras before.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJ50V, SJ70

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:18 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Spokerider wrote:
Thanks for your thots.

The 410 case "looks" smaller to my eye. I guess it's the case shape that makes it look smaller.

About the 410 cases......the pre 85 year lacked the 4wd switch, and only the 85 has the 4wd switch, correct? Other than this difference, are there any other differences between the early 83, 84 cases vs the 85? I have one of each...…..
What you call an '85 410 case (with switch) is identical to 1.3l Samurai transfer case in virtually all aspects except for the ratios. It continued to be used elsewhere in later year in the Widetrack Sierra (aka SJ413) with the only changes being removing the handbrake and changing the flange yoke bolt pattern.The two different sets of ratios in this case could be mixed and matched to create the first set of low range gears , called the Rocklobster at the time, that eventually led to the aftermarket development of a wider range of alternate ratios.

The earlier 1.0lt case, without a 4wd switch, is physically the same size as the later case and mounts up interchangably, but has a few differences. The flange bolt patterns are different to the NT or WT versions of the later cases, and the spline counts are smaller, so you cannot swap the flanges or handbrakes between early to late cases. The non-switch transfer also came in two different ratios, but the particular tooth count of the gears inside meant that it was not possible to mix them to create a hyper-low gear set like the later cases.

If you want to lower your revs on-road with your diesel conversion, you might be good with a stock 1.3 Samurai transfer with it's higher ratio in high Range. Low range will be poor compared to the 4.9 set you're used to, though!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:02 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Thank for the reply.

Yes.....ain't that the caveat? Nothing is free, and there is always a trade off.
As is, the 4.9's in high range, are great for grinding up the washboard logging roads in my area. I go from sea level to 600m in under 10 kms. Pretty normal.
Second gear in high range is great for this. I just know that if I replace the 4.9's with oem TC gears, I'll be doing the same hills in 1st gear.

But yes......oem TC gears and 31's are the perfect gearing for vw diesel and optimum pavement gearing.

Jump to: