It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:14 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: 2006 suzuki jimny

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:10 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Im looking at changing all these oils soon with some penrite gear oil
Just woundering do i need to use the fully synthetic oil for this or is the penrite semi synthetic ok?? These definity a price difference in them both.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Sierras!! SWB and LWB

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:59 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
No need for fancy expensive gear oil. 80W 90 Mineral gear oil is fine

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:35 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I wouldn't recommend the Penrite progear. I put it in my Jimnys gearbox and it totally killed the function of 1st and 2nd syncros. Also after a stint on the highway the input shaft bearing gets noisy when you come back to idle, I guess it really thins out with the heat. I had a similar experience with the penrite semi synthetic oil in the gearbox of my Landcruiser, I changed to castrol VMX-M 75w-85 and it was a night and day difference in shift quality, no more grinding gears!

I normally use castrol VMX for gear oil. It's relatively cheap and seems to work great.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:18 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
bumstein wrote:
No need for fancy expensive gear oil. 80W 90 Mineral gear oil is fine

Ok thank you

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:20 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
sideways wrote:
I wouldn't recommend the Penrite progear. I put it in my Jimnys gearbox and it totally killed the function of 1st and 2nd syncros. Also after a stint on the highway the input shaft bearing gets noisy when you come back to idle, I guess it really thins out with the heat. I had a similar experience with the penrite semi synthetic oil in the gearbox of my Landcruiser, I changed to castrol VMX-M 75w-85 and it was a night and day difference in shift quality, no more grinding gears!

I normally use castrol VMX for gear oil. It's relatively cheap and seems to work great.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:22 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
sideways wrote:

Ok thanks alot for that, ill have a look at that castrol oil

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:29 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
danielparry wrote:
sideways wrote:

Ok thanks alot for that, ill have a look at that castrol oil

I reckon your right, I haven’t seen any advantage using Penrite oils. Shell, Castrol etc seem just as good and you’re usually able to get it cheaper. I think Penrite is good at marketing and branding.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:12 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I’m not really sure why Penrite is held in such regard other than parochialism. Boomers seem to love it though.

Vehicle: '85 Sierra LWB, '99 GV 2.5L

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:14 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I think one of the reasons people rate them is the depth of range & specialty products.
They are a big player in the classic car scene with odd stuff like (manual) Steering box sludge & pre-select gearbox oil.
Stuff that no-one else could be bothered with, so that translates in people wanting to support them across to more normal / common applications.
Rgs, Michael

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJ50V, SJ70

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:25 am 
Reply with quote Top  
ZUZUKI wrote:
I think one of the reasons people rate them is the depth of range & specialty products.
They are a big player in the classic car scene with odd stuff like (manual) Steering box sludge & pre-select gearbox oil.
Stuff that no-one else could be bothered with, so that translates in people wanting to support them across to more normal / common applications.
Rgs, Michael

Most of which is available anyway from the big brands like Mobil, Shell and Castrol much cheaper if you can be bothered reading catalog lines rather than just walking into a retail auto parts shop and looking at what is on the shelf.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:44 am 
Reply with quote Top  
And it’s not like there aren’t a range of international standards that cover these products. I have paid the money for Redline, and would again, in an application where the loading the parts are seeing far exceeds the factory parameters, but I don’t know if anyone can explain why Penrite 80/90w is better than, say, Castrols 80/90w

Vehicle: '92 Sierra, 1.6efi, SPOA, 31s.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:07 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
If you're besties with a local workshop, you'll probably find it rather cheap to just get them to do it and the disposal given they buy by the barrel =)

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:33 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Got a mate that runs a workshop in Joondalup, phoned him recently to find out if he could get good size drums of it cheaper. Turned out I could get 20ltr drums of Castrol for around 30% less than he pays for his, repco sale with discounted oil. It’s a good thing

Jump to: