It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:52 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: suzuki lj80

Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:20 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hey, does anyone know where to get a boss kit for an lj80? or if another model will fit?
thanks in advance

Vehicle: '85 Sierra LWB, '99 GV 2.5L

Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:39 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I suppose you mean steering wheel adapter boss?
I doubt any of the retail store would know what an LJ80 is, let along have any parts for one.
The steering wheel looks like it's the same as a 1.0litre SJ40, so maybe interchangeable, but someone other than me will be able to confirm.
Rgs, Michael

Vehicle: 98 SQ420, 05 JB420, 21 A6G415

Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:43 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Momo lists the BG8118 as fitting the LJ80

Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:48 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Stock lj80 steering wheel is the best looking steering wheel

I live here!
I live here!

Vehicle: JB74

Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:52 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Sports steering wheels scare me 8O

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:16 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Any Sierra boss should fit. Almost all non-airbag suzukis had the same spline as far as I know, the only variable being the indicator cancelling lug spacing. (which are just roll pins and can be moved readily)

I've seen vitara wheels on LJ80's and I have had the same boss kit on a 1.0 litre column and a vitara column. As has been pointed out, the :LJ80 steering wheel is the same as the 1.0 sierra wheel, so that points of broad interchangeability.

Vehicle: 98 SQ420, 05 JB420, 21 A6G415

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:51 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I think it's worth noting - especially in the light of Joe's comment - that some sports wheel boss kits collapse on impact, whilst others do not. My experience has paralleled Steve's - I've swapped the same Momo hub across several Suzuki's, and in every case the difference was the turn signal cancelling mechanism.

Vehicle: Coily.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:40 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Also,in NSW at least,there was some sort of Rego. problems when fitting after market steering wheels,neighbour had his VN,no airbag, knocked back with a Momo fitted,mechanic said it was legal for shops to sell them but not to fit them.
This was a few years back now but someone on here may know more.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:06 am 
Reply with quote Top  
What are we supposed to do with this information? How does it relate to the OP wanting a steering wheel boss for an LJ80?

Sorry for the tone, but this is exactly the sort of thing that results in unsubstantiated rumours swirling around for years that have to be disproven, for years.

What sort of "rego problem"?
What diameter was the wheel? Was it more than 25mm smaller than the factory wheel? Was it less than 350mm diameter? Was it blocking the driver's view of the instruments?
How many years back?
Was the car dodgy and the mechanic looking for something to knock it back?
Was the mechanic dodgy?

Without any of this detail, like I said, what does the OP do with this information?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:02 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:
What are we supposed to do with this information?

In your case i think you can work it out,its not legal in NSW to use these kits.Check it out before investing in a new steering wheel kit.
If you wish to drive your Suzi sitting on a wooden box,fine,just be careful with the rubbish advice you post on here,lots of young impressionable types with their first Suzi.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:25 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Do you have any evidence that replacement steering wheels are illegal in NSW?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:16 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:

That's better,a lot less confrontational than your first reply.

No,i don't have any evidence on non-airbag cars,its based on a first hand account of a VN being knocked back due to the fitting of a Momo wheel.That's why i said for the OP to check it out,every State is different.

The bigger picture here,and i'm relating experiences from a past profession of mine,on road registered cars is if you hit something,even though the car is registered if there are defectable parts added to the car the Insurance Co. may refuse to pay the Insurance claim,it can ruin young lives for the sake of fitting wide wheels for eg,lowering/raising the car to unsafe levels..etc.etc.
Only option then is to take the Insurer to Court,daunting task that is rarely successful.

Anyway not a subject i wish to get involved in but my advice to all the young ones on here is make sure your Suzi. is street legal and any modifications are in writing on your Insurance Policy.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:01 am 
Reply with quote Top  
There was nothing confrontational about my first reply. The point is there is no evidence an aftermarket wheel is illegal other than your second hand anecdote. I have been unable to find any evidence via the NSW government websites that support your claim. As such it’s misleading at best and nonsense at worst. The last two aftermarket steering wheels I have purchased were clearly identified as ADR compliant.

It’s all very well to throw the “everything is illegal and you’re going to be bankrupt/uninsured/unregistered” line- I frequently use it myself, but it’s not enough to use second hand anecdotal evidence to claim aftermarket steering wheels as blanket illegal and will cause unspecified “rego problems” please put some facts and evidence behind your assertion. It should be quite straightforward to find a document that states “the fitment of aftermarket steering wheels is prohibited” if your assertion is true.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:31 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Have it your way,Mate,your living in some sort of Forum bubble where your views/opinions are the only ones that count.
I hope my Posts stop a Teenager on this Forum ruining his/her life.

As i said ,not a topic i wish to get involved in.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:24 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Facts supported by evidence count.

My views and opinions are exactly that unless supported by facts and evidence, as are yours. I'm pretty happy to specify when I'm quoting a fact or stating an opinion. I'm also more than happy to proven wrong.

You're representing an anecdote as a "fact" and when questioned for supporting evidence you've resorted to attacking me as being confrontational and "living in a forum bubble" (whatever that is, it sounds bad?) and implied the penalty of treating your anecdote as an anecdote might "ruin a teenagers life."

That's a big call based on the recollection of something a neighbour's mechanic said some years ago.

Please provide some information to support your anecdote. I am unable to find any. I'm not attacking you, I'm only asking you to support your anecdote with some facts. There must be documentation to support such a blanket ban on aftermarket steering wheels, either locally for NSW or in the ADR - especially if this ban has been in place for some years. If, you can find it, your anecdote can be treated as fact, much internet kudos will flow to you and an accurate and important warning can be provided to the users of this forum.

Attacking me or scaremongering doesn't add weight to your anecdote.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJ50V, SJ70

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:06 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
HarryHoudini wrote:
Gwagensteve wrote:

No,i don't have any evidence on non-airbag cars,......That's why i said for the OP to check it out,every State is different.

Actually, most States have aligned on this topic through VSB14, which in this matter, is also applied in NSW.

VSB14 Section LS, Clause 4.9 is attached below. As the VN Commodore was produced before 1995, the only requirement to make the wheel legal is evidence either on the wheel itself, or in supporting documentation, that it complies with ADR10. If this evidence is not available at time of vehicle inspection, it will be grounds for the Inspector to knock it back.

There is no blanket ban of aftermarket Steering Wheels in NSW.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jump to: