It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:34 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message

Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:43 am
Posts: 5
Vehicle: 1985 Holden Rover (AKA Jimny)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:46 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Hello I am going to check out a 1985 jimny this weekend

It's going cheap because its stuck in neutral

I know about the T case issue and I think I can fix that on the spot as I have the same problem with my tractor (assuming that is the issue)

When the T case is stuck in neutral is the lever actually movable? Is there any way I can tell that is the issue without dismantling shroud as I doubt the seller would be too happy with that

Could the gearbox itself be stuck in neutral? I can't find any information about that being an issue with the jimnys

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:19 pm
Posts: 1634
Vehicle: Sierras!! SWB and LWB

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:36 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Transfer case problem is the shift bush, and yes you can still move the shift lever.

I imagine a gearbox stuck in neutral would be the same thing. Is it a Jimny or Sierra? ‘85 would be a Sierra if it was an Australian version. If you found you can’t fix the gearbox easily I’d just find a second hand one and bung that in

 Profile  

Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:43 am
Posts: 5
Vehicle: 1985 Holden Rover (AKA Jimny)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:31 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
bumstein wrote:
Transfer case problem is the shift bush, and yes you can still move the shift lever.

I imagine a gearbox stuck in neutral would be the same thing. Is it a Jimny or Sierra? ‘85 would be a Sierra if it was an Australian version. If you found you can’t fix the gearbox easily I’d just find a second hand one and bung that in


Yes I'm hoping it is just the t case issue so I can unwedge it and drive off, otherwise I'll have to get it towed

It's actually a Holden drover which I understand is a rebadged sierra

Any good places to get gearboxes in NSW or just keep an eye out at wreckers?

 Profile  

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 5565
Location: Northcliffe, W.A.
Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:04 am 
Reply with quote Top  
It's probably the transfer, it's one of the most common problems with a Sierra. When they do it the shifter wont move between gears.

The stick is easy to pull out. Lift the floor mat away, undo the 4 bolts holding the shifter boot, screw the knob off (heh heh), pull the interior boot off, pull off the boot from the transfer, push the outer ring down, turn it until it stops and the stick will pull out.

You may need to fiddle with the selector shafts to get them back in the right places. You can lever them back and forth with a big screwdriver.

Gearbox shifter is actually just the same to pull out.

As a temporary fix you can do the above to get the stick back in the right place and pull up on the stick when you shift it. To do it properly the bush needs to be replaced, you'l find the old one to be a crumbly mess.

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter

Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:00 am
Posts: 2866
Location: here

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:31 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Gearbox can also have issues generally associated with the shifter bolt wearing and allowing the lever to become misaligned, also has a shifter bush located ontop of the ball that could need replacing. Generally a good idea to replace both bolt and bush. In sever cases I've had the slot in the shifter wear and cause issues.

Transfer case is an easy fix with the new bush. 5 minute job with the right tools. To get it into gear lift the shifter slightly 5-10mm and you should be able to select a gear.

_________________
greenzook89 wrote:
31zook wrote:
Makes me want something similar

 Profile  

Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:43 am
Posts: 5
Vehicle: 1985 Holden Rover (AKA Jimny)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:36 am 
Reply with quote Top  
just_cruizin wrote:
Gearbox can also have issues generally associated with the shifter bolt wearing and allowing the lever to become misaligned, also has a shifter bush located ontop of the ball that could need replacing. Generally a good idea to replace both bolt and bush. In sever cases I've had the slot in the shifter wear and cause issues.

Transfer case is an easy fix with the new bush. 5 minute job with the right tools. To get it into gear lift the shifter slightly 5-10mm and you should be able to select a gear.


Yep my tractor has worn slots, it's a pain when the shifter slips out but it's a 5 minute fix, have to keep a socket set under the seat at all times

Do you reckon it's safe to drive without replacing the bushings? Just need to get it home 60km ish?

 Profile  

Offline
az supporter
az supporter

Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:00 am
Posts: 2866
Location: here

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:13 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Transfer won't pop out of gear though if the gearbox is the issue it'll be really hard to find gears on the move

_________________
greenzook89 wrote:
31zook wrote:
Makes me want something similar

 Profile  

Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:43 am
Posts: 5
Vehicle: 1985 Holden Rover (AKA Jimny)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Turns out it was the transfer case, took the shifter bush out and it just disintegrated in my hand... What the hell did they make it out of

Anyway drove it around the paddock and it ran fine, happy with my purchase as it only cost $400

I noticed another problem with the gearbox but I'll make another thread for that

 Profile  

Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 12:20 pm
Posts: 964
Vehicle: Vitara 1994

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:13 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
catmanjan wrote:
Turns out it was the transfer case, took the shifter bush out and it just disintegrated in my hand... What the hell did they make it out of

Anyway drove it around the paddock and it ran fine, happy with my purchase as it only cost $400

I noticed another problem with the gearbox but I'll make another thread for that


Bargain


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Jump to:  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Untitled Document


Untitled Document


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group :: Style based on FI Subice by phpBBservice.nl :: All times are UTC + 10 hours