It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:40 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: lj50

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:25 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I've done a fair bit of research already,
but just confirming if you can get diff locks for standard LJ 50 diffs?? Also is there an easy way to tell a LJ 50 transfer case from an LJ 80 case without pulling it down. I have numbers stamped on top U-218??

Cheers

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:26 am 
Reply with quote Top  
you can get auto lockers in a lockright brand to fit 1 litre diffs. They dont bolt nicely into the 50 diff housing so you really need a pair of 1 litre thirds to put them in. they are also only available from the US and hard to get.

the easy way to tell the diffeence in transfers is pull the tail shafts. rotate the input shaft and see how many times the output turns

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJ50V, SJ70

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:40 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
boofdog wrote:
Also is there an easy way to tell a LJ 50 transfer case from an LJ 80 case without pulling it down?
Cheers[quote=Tanshi]the easy way to tell the difference in transfers is pull the tail shafts. rotate the input shaft and see how many times the output turns

Externally, both cases are identical in every way, they are the same parts. There are no markings at all. Note too that the "LJ80" ratios are the original for the LJ50 Hardtop. The low ratio case are ONLY in the LJ50 Softtop.

As Hi range in both is reasonably close, the best way to tell the difference is to put the case in LOW range when turning the shafts. The LJ50 box input will turn a little over 3 times to rotate the brake drum 1 full turn. The LJ50V/LJ80 box will turn 2.5 times. If you put a chalk mark on the input flange and turn the brake drum 1 full turn, it will either end up close to where you started (3:1), or 180 deg out (2.5:1).

Vehicle: lj50

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:29 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Cheers Guys, Great help! looks like I got the LJ50 soft top case (which is what I was after)

Jump to: