It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:43 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » N00b Talk

Vehicle: 2015 Grand Vitara Sport

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:08 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi All, flatmate dropped the car off the edge of the car park, hit the concrete and has damaged the engine rear mounting member (well I think it's that based on searching). It runs across the car underneath approximately in line with the steering wheel. On both side the bolts holding this to the chassis have bent, worse on the passenger side and has moved back about 30mm. There also used to be a gap between this and the chassis and there were runner things in there, there is not really much gap now.

There might be a new vibration now when moving through 1500~2500 RPM, cant be sure I might just be sensitive to it now.

Here's my N00b questions:

Is this called the engine rear mounting member?

Who do I take this to for a look to see if it can be repaired or replaced? A smash repairer or a mechanic?

Any idea on a range of a reasonable cost for repair/replacement?

Should I drive it?

Here some pics.
Attachment:
pas side (2).jpg

Attachment:
drivers side (1).jpg

Thank's heaps !

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vehicle: 2016 Grand Vitara 3 door

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:36 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
What do the other 2 undamaged bolts look like ie strait as if you could undo them with no problem
Take a photo looking straight up under each side so we can see them (flash)

Last edited by Slug on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vehicle: 06 Ford falcon

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:36 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Mechanic

i would say it a guard more then anything for the driveline in that case it would be a brace since engines use mounting blocks

i would advise to not drive it if it is connected to the engine tho i highly doubt it is since looking in the second picture its behind the transmission unless im wrong and thats the front drive shaft but i bet its the rear

price? depends on the cost of install and the part

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:41 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Slug wrote:
What do the other 2 undamaged bolts look like ie strait as if you could undo them with no problem
Take a photo looking straight up under each side so we can see them (flash)

Attachment:
looking up.jpg

Hi Slug. This is the passenger side, it could be difficult to get off.

saph wrote:
Mechanic

i would say it a guard more then anything for the driveline in that case it would be a brace since engines use mounting blocks

i would advise to not drive it if it is connected to the engine tho i highly doubt it is since looking in the second picture its behind the transmission unless im wrong and thats the front drive shaft but i bet its the rear

price? depends on the cost of install and the part

Hi saph. In the middle of the cross member, there is a plate which is bolted to the (transmission?) and attached to the cross member with rubber blocks which are maybe deformed a little.

Attachment:
boots.jpg

Attachment:
boots 2.jpg

:|

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vehicle: 06 Ford falcon

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:51 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Mechanic and could be safe to drive since its a transmission mount most likely tho be careful if you do drive it with pot holes and speed pumps since you dont want the rubber falling out.

Vehicle: 2016 Grand Vitara 3 door

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:03 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
By the look of it a new cross member and a small repair on the chassis nut sets The rail doesn't appear to have any crush damage by the photos. The bolts are surrounded by the rubber bushes and looks worse than it is bend wise
A good mechanic will be able to do the job will need also new bolts and all rubber fittings even a SH one if you on a budget and don't want to go though insurance, Otherwise make a claim
allow around 3 hours labour and the parts
seen a lot worse than that on a 4wd weekend
and after 40+ years panel beating its just a scrape

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:17 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks very much for your advice saph and Slug, I will call the mechanic on Monday morning.

:)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:43 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Just an update, $350 for a new cross member, bolts and rubbers - second hand was quoted $450 with no extras, no guessing which option I took :lol:

Mechanic said he wasnt comfortable cutting the old one off as it was butt up against the chassis, so I took it to a panel beater. Hopefully all goes well.

M.

Vehicle: MY13 2.4 SWB GV (02 Paj Io)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:21 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Thank you for sharing this!

ive wondered how that crossmember would go from a heavy hit offroad - good to see it at least tends to fail and remain attached

Jump to: