It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:40 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » N00b Talk

Vehicle: 06 Ford falcon

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:44 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
So this may be a noob question but eh.

Was wondering how people store water in their zooks with the limited space i have been looking at those poly tanks that go over the weel arche but unsure how nice those would play with a draw system plus i would feel sketchy about having 50kg to one side but was also looking at draw plans that have the tank behind them again wondering if that would mess with the way the car sits.

Any ideas are welcome.

Vehicle: 91 Tin Top

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:22 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
What’s the water for?
Just to have some water if you need while out wheeling or for camping and touring?

If it’s the first one then a 10L Polly Jerry can is perfect.
You want the weight low and fixed (as in not having 20kg sloshing in a half empty tank made for 50 or 60L).
Those jerry cans fit in the foot wells behind the front seats in most zooks and also happen to fit perfectly wedged beside the back seats in a Jimny.
10L is more then enough to top up a radiator or rise off if you’ve had to roll around in mud or for most other things you need water for out on the tracks.
I take one of these strapped drown behind the seats with my tool bag and recovery gear on every trip.

If it’s for camping and touring just get 2x 10L Polly jerry cans, this is enough for a weekender with a couple of people.

You can check out my old Jimny thread and see all of the trips we used to do with 2 adults and 2 young kids in the Jimny and pretty much only ever had 2x 10L jerrys with us when we didn’t take the trailer.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:50 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
pete_79 wrote:
What’s the water for?
Just to have some water if you need while out wheeling or for camping and touring?

If it’s the first one then a 10L Polly Jerry can is perfect.
You want the weight low and fixed (as in not having 20kg sloshing in a half empty tank made for 50 or 60L).
Those jerry cans fit in the foot wells behind the front seats in most zooks and also happen to fit perfectly wedged beside the back seats in a Jimny.
10L is more then enough to top up a radiator or rise off if you’ve had to roll around in mud or for most other things you need water for out on the tracks.
I take one of these strapped drown behind the seats with my tool bag and recovery gear on every trip.

If it’s for camping and touring just get 2x 10L Polly jerry cans, this is enough for a weekender with a couple of people.

You can check out my old Jimny thread and see all of the trips we used to do with 2 adults and 2 young kids in the Jimny and pretty much only ever had 2x 10L jerrys with us when we didn’t take the trailer.

Thanks

Mostly camping and touring while fishing so i can wash the smell off and have water to drink since i want to do long hits in isolated fishing spots that not many go to.

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:23 am 
Reply with quote Top  
When we traveled in my Sierra we just bought those cubes of 24 600ml water bottles. Works perfect for us, can break up the cube and fit them pretty much anywhere, never have to dig out some big awkward container, guaranteed good water, always have some in the Engel.

I also had a 5L container for emergency radiator water.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:26 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
So i kept looking into this and found a sneaky yet good idea

desalination of water like they do on boats but a small system yes i know it add's weight but i have been looking into aluminium box trailers aswell for another side project.

it looks like desalination is the go since it avoids adding not needed weight to the car in the way of the tank and plumbing to extract the water and to fill plus it means unlimited water when wanted while yes its slow over a day with solar it means you can run it and get more water then you would ever need in one day, and yes it takes up weight i know but its better then a poly tank and then 50 liters of water weight.

And yes i know it needs me to be by the sea its where i would be regardless since i much rather salt water fishing then fresh i can use a water bladder if needed to transport the water to my site but more then likly it will be fed to a water tank on a trailer that i can tow with the zook since most ive found weigh over the max limit of 750kg braked on the one i want (1995 suzuki sierra jx) i had already planed for a trailer anyways to act as a spare fuel carryer for long trips with a small fuel tank and a pump set up on the zook to act as a sub tank of a kind.

Anyways this post has gone on for abit so time to finish writing and put it up.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:03 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
If your campling by the sea you only need drinking and cooking water. It’s a Sierra - you’re going to run out of beer/food/fuel well before you run out of drinking water.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:15 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:
If your campling by the sea you only need drinking and cooking water. It’s a Sierra - you’re going to run out of beer/food/fuel well before you run out of drinking water.

Trust me if i camp by myself i can do about 2 weeks on the smallest amount of stuff and hell the point of the trailer is a base camp setup since i would rather do month long camp trips then deal with people that are demanding as hell (never get a job in tech and then put bissness cards out saying your avalible 24/7 2 am phone calls are not fun over a busted audio cable that you had said to replace a month ago.)

Jump to: