It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:28 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » N00b Talk

Vehicle: Sierra SJ70 VX JX Hardtop

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:01 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hey zook lords. I have a 1.3Lt WT 1988 release SJ70 (G13A) Hardtop Leafy (is it worth mentioning all these details each time I make a post?). I'm slowly getting through all the standard self maintenance items. I successfully finished a radiator flush yesterday and now its time for the fuel system. I want to replace the fuel filter. Does anyone know where to buy one in Sydney? Or online if it arrives relatively quickly?
Also is there anything else I should be adding to my check list to look after the fuel system? I've heard cleaning out the fuel tank can be a good idea but can only be achieved through dropping the tank. Is this necessary in combination with a new filter?

Vehicle: LJs, Sierra, Jimny, Swift.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:58 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Any auto place (repco, supercheap ect) will have one. In any case you can fit one of those universal in line ones in place of the stock filter with 0 mods, though it's not as tidy as the stock one.

The filter is extremely easy to replace. I wouldn't worry about any tank cleaning, if it aint broke...

In terms of the fuel system, see if the hoses are cracked and replace them if they are. Fuel pumps are a relatively common failure so it may be worth replacing if it hasn't been already. They're very easy to change also.

Vehicle: 1992 Sierra sj70 Tin Top

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:05 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
as sideways said you dont need the oem fuel filter you can just unplug the old one remove it and then cable tie an inline filter neatly up somewhere so it does not get ripped off while you give her the beans in the bush.

just like this one you can get from any Super cheap auto https://second-wind.net/products/generi ... uel-filter

it might also be worth buying 2 and sticking another between the carby and the pump in the engine bay if you want extra piece of mind.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: LJ50V, SJ70

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:27 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
TheDoug wrote:
Hey zook lords. I have a 1.3Lt WT 1988 release SJ70 (G13A) Hardtop Leafy (is it worth mentioning all these details each time I make a post?).

An 88 WT is actually an SJ50. Although it looks like a later SJ70 WT with the wide flares and all, as you note it has the 1324cc engine and will also have the 3.9 ratio diffs of the earlier NT 1.3 Sierras.

Ryco fuel filter is Z367 places like repco, Supercheap used to have it on the shelves, but as they thin out their stock levels, you might need to order it in.

Jump to: