It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:46 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » N00b Talk

Vehicle: 1983 LWB Suzuki Sierra

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:47 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
So I was driving my car this arvo and I stopped at the traffic light only to find that my transmission was tuck in fourth, after a bit of effort I got it into first and managed to pull over but I now have a car stuck on the side of the road with a busted transmission. I can still drive normally in first and I haven't heard anything strange except for a whine in second that has been present since I bought it, it was popping out of gear though if I drove aggressively. Can anyone come up with some ideas about what might've happened?

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:59 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
G/box bush is gone. My guess.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Sierras!! SWB and LWB

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:16 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
As Bruce says, all likelyhood it’s the gear shift Bush. Take the shift lever out and there’s a nylon bush secured over the shifter ball.

Handy however to know some of the details of the vehicle. What is it and what year to begin?

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:19 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
bumstein wrote:
As Bruce says, all likelyhood it’s the gear shift Bush. Take the shift lever out and there’s a nylon bush secured over the shifter ball.

Handy however to know some of the details of the vehicle. What is it and what year to begin?

Well that's just my thoughts. And yes more info needed really.
I do make and supply these bushes if needed.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:20 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Orrrrrrrrrrr it's the G/box bolt flogged out?

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:11 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Woah lots of replys' here, It's a 1983 sierra, I've actually had the shifter out filling up the oil before so I shouldn't have a drama checking when I get around to picking it up off the side of the road. If I pull the shifter out while the car is in gear will I be able to get it back in, I imagine you could but I've never tried.

Vehicle: 1992 Sierra sj70 Tin Top

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:51 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Mine from the auction was stuck in first when it arrived on it's tow trucklol. Take the shift boot off undo the 4 bolts holding the plate on and then the shift should be able to be lifted out and realigned, as others said check the bushing, mine didn't even have one bloody installed that or its designated until the bottom of the box haha also check the alignment bolt sometimes they snap. You want bit of grease an in flogged out bushing and a non broken alignment bolt to decrease the likelihood of it happening again.

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:13 am 
Reply with quote Top  
So I've just gone and picked the car up this morning and It's fine. I pulled the gearstick out and found that as a result of a disintegrated bushing it had become misaligned and was essentially doing nothing, after a lot of mucking about I managed to get it back in neutral with a screw driver and put the gearstick back in without the bushing.

Vehicle: 1992 Sierra sj70 Tin Top

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:06 am 
Reply with quote Top  
WoolMinotaur wrote:
So I've just gone and picked the car up this morning and It's fine. I pulled the gearstick out and found that as a result of a disintegrated bushing it had become misaligned and was essentially doing nothing, after a lot of mucking about I managed to get it back in neutral with a screw driver and put the gearstick back in without the bushing.

you can drive it without the bushing its just really really sloppy, just be real gentle and get one in ASAP

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Sierras!! SWB and LWB

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:10 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
WoolMinotaur wrote:
I managed to get it back in neutral with a screw driver and put the gearstick back in without the bushing.

Spot on!

Jump to: