It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:54 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: Suzuki GV 2007 Trekker

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:27 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I'm after opinions on taking my 2007 GV 2.0ltr to the beach, places like north straddie

I'm looking at getting dobinsons 40mm lift, so I'm after opinion on whether this is necessary for beach driving like straddie considering that's about the extent of the 4x4ing I'll be looking to do or whether I can get away with out it?
Also wondering if the relatively smaller engine (4cyl 2.0) will be okay? I've read the more newer models with 2.4ltr handle fine?

Thanks

Vehicle: '85 Sierra LWB, '99 GV 2.5L

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:45 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi there,
I haven't driven at North Stradbroke Island, but it sounds like it sees a bit of traffic = soft sand with ruts?
GV's are notoriously low to the ground (or sand in this case) so a lift will certainly help, especially as the 2.0litre has marginal power in these sorts of conditions & could do without any drag caused by skimming the sand.
Keep the car as light as you can (ie don't pack it full of camping gear), lower tyre pressures to something around 14-16psi, avoid sharp turns.
You are going to be flogging it in low range most of the time, make sure the cooling system is in good condition.
Recovery points are an issue - if/when you get stuck, have a think about how you get recovered. Square hitch towbar with a proper recovery insert & shackle is ok for the rear, but what about the front?.
If you haven't done much sand driving, I wouldn't think a 2.0litre GV is the best car to learn with.
But, if that's what you have, give it a go - with sympathetic & strong mates.
Rgs, Michael

Jump to: