It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:53 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: 2006 suzuki jimny

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:39 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
My jimny has started to get that well know death wobble,
Ive read alot of as to what causes it, sounds like the main problem being the kingpin bearings going bad,
Ive watched a few videos looks very time consuming, just woundering if anyone has had there mechanic fix this issue and how much did it roughly cost.
At the moment i only get the death wobble 50% of the time, so far its not a every day issue

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:46 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Be prepared take the relevant pages of the FSM to the mechanic and specify that's exactly how you want it done, otherwise they'll likely swap the bearings throw it all back together and call it good. (and blame something else for the death wobble)

For a mechanic on a hoist it should only take an hour or so per side, so long as they don't find anything else.

Steve.

Vehicle: 2006 suzuki jimny

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:56 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:
Be prepared take the relevant pages of the FSM to the mechanic and specify that's exactly how you want it done, otherwise they'll likely swap the bearings throw it all back together and call it good. (and blame something else for the death wobble)

For a mechanic on a hoist it should only take an hour or so per side, so long as they don't find anything else.

Steve.

So in your experience its mainy the bearings that cause the issue?
What FSM pages are u referring to?
Last time i spoke with him he had another jimny in his shop fixing the steering wobble issue he said he has done a fair few of them now, but i never asked him what he fixes for the issue .

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:03 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Suzuki sell a king pin shim to increase preload on the bearing as its inadequate. If bearings and steering components are in good shape it normally fixes the issue. 5 min job each side

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:40 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Point taken Mr Rocky, but that assumes the bearings are in good condition, and doesn't allow for checking preload which, if it's the same as on a Sierra, requires the seals to be removed and the tie rod disconnected.

I don't have a Jimny FSM so can't direct you to the correct pages.

If he's familiar with the (correct) fix he's be able to give you a good idea of cost.

As Mr rocky points out - preload is borderline from the factory and any wear (or any increased weight on the hub side - wheels, tyres, fitting FWH etc will start it wobbling.

Steve.

Jump to: