It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:23 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » N00b Talk

Vehicle: h20 vitara sv620

Post Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:47 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
HI Guys i have a Sv620 h20a 97 manual vitara and ive blow my front diff (casing cracked while doing some serious offroad action) ive been told they run a 4.625 ratio and i can only find a 4.8 second hand is it as easy as just changing front and back diffs with new ratio they are out of a sv420 ? or is there more too it. I have 32inch tyres on it which im guessing is part of the problem why i blew the diff in the first place. Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vehicle: 98 5 dr SQ420, 05 5dr JB420

Post Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:50 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Since the 4.8s are from another SV series, it should be a simple bolt in swap.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:38 am 
Reply with quote Top  
With 32"tyres you need to swap to 5.12 ratios from a 1.6 manual or 4 speed auto vitara. 4.88 will still be far too tall. Fortunately these are are the easiest ratios to find.

To try and make the front end reliable with a 32" tyre, you need to consider the full suite of Vitara front upgrades - steel case from a manual V6 GV, steel diff carrier, 26 spline axles if your model doesn't already have them, and a bush supported driver's side axleshaft, which will be a cut down and resplined passenger side shaft, and diff drop brackets.

CV's will still be a weak point, but they're quite quick to change trailside once the RHS and LHS CV's are the same.

here's all the upgraded parts laid out. (steel diff carrier is out of frame)

I was involved in the build of a few Vitaras over the years running 32"+ tyres. The formula to maximise strength and reliability is a good one. They're still not trouble free, but they're pretty good.

Jump to: