auszookers.com
https://auszookers.com/forum/

1.6 carbie on a 1.3 head
https://auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32770
Page 1 of 1

Author:  sbbunno [ Mon May 21, 2012 1:13 pm ]
Post subject:  1.6 carbie on a 1.3 head

Hi guys

Carbie has been stuffing up and finally broke down. I have a wheeling trip coming up and need a quick solution.

My engine consists of a 1.3 sump, 1.6 block, 1.3 carbie with larger jets now screwd.
Just need to know what carbie will fit, I don't want a weber carbie so I'm thinking my option is a 1.6 ?

Please help would be great.

Author:  want33s [ Mon May 21, 2012 2:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1.6 carbie on a 1.3 head

3K or 4K Corolla is an option, as is Vit 1.6 carb.
People have used Aisin's off Daihatsu Charades too.

Author:  sbbunno [ Mon May 21, 2012 2:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1.6 carbie on a 1.3 head

Is there much to do for the 1.6 carbie, or is a straight plug n play?

Author:  want33s [ Mon May 21, 2012 2:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1.6 carbie on a 1.3 head

I've never played with one but as I understand it the bolt pattern is same but the 1.3 airhat needs work to fit.

Author:  sbbunno [ Mon May 21, 2012 2:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1.6 carbie on a 1.3 head

Ok, what's the difference ?

Ps thanks for the assistance

Author:  Zook_Fan [ Mon May 21, 2012 3:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1.6 carbie on a 1.3 head

The top of the 1.6 carby has a bigger inlet for air than the 1.3 and the threaded rod on the carby is too long for the 1.3 air hat. I lathed up a piece of poly to fit the two different diameters and it also gave it a bit more height allowing the hat to be bolted down without an issue.

Author:  sbbunno [ Mon May 21, 2012 4:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1.6 carbie on a 1.3 head

The other option is I repaire the on already on hear but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I think the idler jet is blocked, but a lot of fuel was managing to leak out the sides, I don't see evidence of ripped hoses or anything. I have a 1.6 carbie kit handy. Will that fit a 1.3 carbie.

I'm trying to get this done for the long weekend. Iv just been told the 1.6 carbie crps itself all the time anyway and not to bother with it?

Zook_Fan wrote:
The top of the 1.6 carby has a bigger inlet for air than the 1.3 and the threaded rod on the carby is too long for the 1.3 air hat. I lathed up a piece of poly to fit the two different diameters and it also gave it a bit more height allowing the hat to be bolted down without an issue.


I'm handy with this sorta stuff but not really the fabricating side lol.

Author:  sbbunno [ Mon May 21, 2012 4:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1.6 carbie on a 1.3 head

The other option is I repaire the on already on hear but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I think the idler jet is blocked, but a lot of fuel was managing to leak out the sides, I don't see evidence of ripped hoses or anything. I have a 1.6 carbie kit handy. Will that fit a 1.3 carbie.

I'm trying to get this done for the long weekend. Iv just been told the 1.6 carbie crps itself all the time anyway and not to bother with it?

Zook_Fan wrote:
The top of the 1.6 carby has a bigger inlet for air than the 1.3 and the threaded rod on the carby is too long for the 1.3 air hat. I lathed up a piece of poly to fit the two different diameters and it also gave it a bit more height allowing the hat to be bolted down without an issue.


I'm handy with this sorta stuff but not really the fabricating side lol.

Author:  troopy [ Mon May 21, 2012 4:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1.6 carbie on a 1.3 head

I have had some success using a mikuni carby from mid 80s model mitzubishi colts they are the same bolt pattern but you will have to fit studs to the inlet manifold.The standard carby gasket fits and the accelerator cable bolts straight on and even the hoses for the choke fits.

Author:  Zook_Fan [ Mon May 21, 2012 5:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1.6 carbie on a 1.3 head

sbbunno wrote:
The other option is I repaire the on already on hear but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I think the idler jet is blocked, but a lot of fuel was managing to leak out the sides, I don't see evidence of ripped hoses or anything. I have a 1.6 carbie kit handy. Will that fit a 1.3 carbie.

I'm trying to get this done for the long weekend. Iv just been told the 1.6 carbie crps itself all the time anyway and not to bother with it?

Zook_Fan wrote:
The top of the 1.6 carby has a bigger inlet for air than the 1.3 and the threaded rod on the carby is too long for the 1.3 air hat. I lathed up a piece of poly to fit the two different diameters and it also gave it a bit more height allowing the hat to be bolted down without an issue.


I'm handy with this sorta stuff but not really the fabricating side lol.


Who told you that? They are no where near as bad as 1.3 carby's. Have a look through the threads on here, hundreds of sierra carby problems but I can't remember too many 1.6 issues. No the 1.6 kit won't fit a 1.3, two completely different carby's from to different manufacturers.

Why do you think that the idler jet is blocked? Is it fuel or coolant leaking? Make sure all of the hoses are tight and not cracking around the hose clamp, get rid of any spring style clamps with decent ones too.

It really is pretty simple fab work, if you're not competent I can't see it costing much to lathe a ~60mm hole and taper it out to ~70mm with a 5mm step at each end. 2" of 75 diameter poly is more than enough

Author:  sbbunno [ Mon May 21, 2012 5:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1.6 carbie on a 1.3 head

Zook_Fan wrote:
sbbunno wrote:
The other option is I repaire the on already on hear but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I think the idler jet is blocked, but a lot of fuel was managing to leak out the sides, I don't see evidence of ripped hoses or anything. I have a 1.6 carbie kit handy. Will that fit a 1.3 carbie.

I'm trying to get this done for the long weekend. Iv just been told the 1.6 carbie crps itself all the time anyway and not to bother with it?

Zook_Fan wrote:
The top of the 1.6 carby has a bigger inlet for air than the 1.3 and the threaded rod on the carby is too long for the 1.3 air hat. I lathed up a piece of poly to fit the two different diameters and it also gave it a bit more height allowing the hat to be bolted down without an issue.


I'm handy with this sorta stuff but not really the fabricating side lol.


Who told you that? They are no where near as bad as 1.3 carby's. Have a look through the threads on here, hundreds of sierra carby problems but I can't remember too many 1.6 issues. No the 1.6 kit won't fit a 1.3, two completely different carby's from to different manufacturers.

Why do you think that the idler jet is blocked? Is it fuel or coolant leaking? Make sure all of the hoses are tight and not cracking around the hose clamp, get rid of any spring style clamps with decent ones too.

It really is pretty simple fab work, if you're not competent I can't see it costing much to lathe a ~60mm hole and taper it out to ~70mm with a 5mm step at each end. 2" of 75 diameter poly is more than enough



The suzistore store told me the auto choke dies fairly quick and dies early.
Just before it died the engine would drop out when at idle but would kick in when I put pedal to metal. I am confident in the idler being blocked. It is definitely fuel leaking and it is not coming from the hose it comes out of the top of the carbie where the air pod is. Im thinking I may try save this carbie and put a kit through it.

Author:  Zook_Fan [ Mon May 21, 2012 7:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1.6 carbie on a 1.3 head

Pedal to the metal doesnt necessarily mean idle jets are your problem. I don't mind the sierra carby, put a kit through it and clean it properly and it should be good. Being on the bigger block you should consider rejetting it while you have it open.

Author:  sbbunno [ Tue May 22, 2012 1:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 1.6 carbie on a 1.3 head

Zook_Fan wrote:
Pedal to the metal doesnt necessarily mean idle jets are your problem. I don't mind the sierra carby, put a kit through it and clean it properly and it should be good. Being on the bigger block you should consider rejetting it while you have it open.


i didnt mean literaly, i just ment when the accelerater jet takes over it runs fine, but at idle dies.
it as bee rejeted, ill just try give it a good all scrub down. iv not done one before so so good time to learn. i just wanted something before the long weeken.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 9:30 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/